Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

An Interestingly absurb poem from "The Healing Arts"

Philip Larkin
1922- 1985

This be the Verse

(extracted from pg 17)

Im really sorrie abt the f-words... but here it goes!

They f**k you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were f**ked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And dont have any kids yourself.


Well, it sounds like an angry poem, written by someone who was obviously fed up with the way things were.

Though absurd, I feel that there are some truth in it esp in the last stencil... "Man hands on misery to man.." and "dont have any kids yourself." hahahazzz...

I agree with all my heart that raising kids is no mean feat. Providing for their needs is already a big financial burden... Educating them is yet another huge concern. My point of view as at 23rd Nov... hahahhaazzz

1 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Richard Shepard said...

I had parents who screwed me up, and I suppose most people do. But I have no doubt they did their best as well. Nobody promises life will be easy, unless they are a fool. And this struggle is as old as time itself. There is no blame. It just happens.
Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home